Sunday, March 1, 2015

Combined Ops Questionnaire (4)

A Combined Ops Questionnaire

["My father gave me this print 25 years ago. I learned
its significance to him only about 5 years ago"]

I was slow to pick up my father's trail concerning his duties during WW2 even though I had access to articles he had written in his hometown weekly, The Norwich Gazette, and possessed books that contained some of his stories and remembrances about his participation in the Royal Canadian Navy Volunteer Reserve and Combined Operations organization. I may have given his efforts a quick glance but never read them thoughtfully.

His responses to a Combined Ops questionnaire (the questions are not available but some are easily guessed), distributed to veterans in the mid-1990s, only came to my awakening attention in 2011. Had I been asked then what my father did in the Navy I would have said something about service in the Merchant Marines. And I would have been way out in left field.


["Father's responses are found in St. Nazaire to Singapore, page 387"]
__________

WHAT I GOT FROM COMBINED OPS 

Combined Operations (CO) did not affect me religiously. I had a good grounding in religion as a child and youth. Yes I prayed, and still do.

I haven’t a single misconduct in my service and I wonder why because I didn’t conform well in the service and I still don’t. I question just about everything and not just because it keeps my mind active. Looking back I feel I was as good as any Seaman in my flotilla and I retained a sense of humour. I wasn’t a loner then and I’m still not a loner. I say “Hello” to everyone, strangers and all and I said “Hello” in the Service (not much to Officers!). Friends are a very important part of my life as they were in CO too. I know that when I say “Hello” to some folks they wonder openly, “Who is that grey haired old geek?” but people are so tied up in their problems today, taxes, etc., that they are all becoming psychologically affected... a good sense of humour comes in handy here.

I questioned Dieppe then and still do. Some of the high ranking officers and, or, their families swam and frolicked on those very beaches. (After all, those beaches have been there a longtime. They took revenge by calling it, “The Poor Man’s Monte Carlo.”) Those planners knew those beaches so they must have had a good reason other than any that have been written about. Perhaps one objective was to quiet the Canadian Army which was restless and having discipline problems - spill blood - it will quiet things down and sober them up. 

["Dad (right) with nephew Dougie, brother Roll and Ruth (Roll's wife)" circa 1941]

["Father and son, circa 1980"]

I liked the family aspect of CO (Canadian). I believe strongly in the family unit today (backbone of the Nation). So you and I wonder what’s wrong? It’s right before our eyes. Independent, greedy, surly, almost to the point of being ungovernable. But we shared in CO and although we were alone much of the time there was discipline and there was a feeling shared by most. “Together we stick, parted we’re stuck.”

I was fond of (Officer) Mr. Koyl who said, “Don’t bother me with the petty stuff, (Officer) Mr. Wedd. Let’s get the job done and go home.” I asked him one day, “Sir, do you mind us calling you Uncle Jake?” “No Harrison, I don’t. On the contrary, I’m honoured.”

For the most part, many of us grew up while overseas and were different in several ways than when we went over to England in (January) 1942 and upon our return in (December) 1943. Every CO Rating I have met since the war, there is the odd exception, became a responsible citizen of Canada and made a valuable contribution the same as in war time. We took chances during the war and in peace time - call them risks if you like. They were a special group and still are in my eyes. I learned to depend on my comrades in arms of CO and I still do. They would never let you down and the reverse is true. Joe Spencer, Chuck Rose and families and our family played together while the children were young. “Hey, there is a storm around and they’ve darkened Ship.” I miss those guys that for one reason or another I do not or cannot see any more. The bonds forged in war are forever forged.

["Members of Combined Operations in Comox, Vancouver Is., 1944-45.
Chuck Rose (front, second from left, F2), Doug H. (F3), Joe Spencer (F5)"]

I learned in Combined Ops to think for myself. I suppose that strengthened my nonconformity. All of us, Officers and all, were as green as grass when we went overseas. I’m as green as grass about some things today but at least I can Think and Question. CO didn’t take a thing from me. I have no regrets of my time in the Service. It taught me and gave me loyal friends. We don’t hear the word loyal today too much. It gave me experience in many ways. It was “family” and as I’ve said before, I still believe in family.
__________

More to follow.


Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment