Saturday, April 4, 2015

The Long and Short Of It (12A)

The Long and Short Of It

1. I Plan Me a Trip

"I later modified my list of daily destinations by striking out St. John, NB"

After the boat for my father's cremated remains was built I had one major league task left to accomplish, and that was to transport it to some rocky shore on the East Coast of Canada and give it a ceremonial toss, so to speak, into the Atlantic Ocean - and return home safely. As I did a few years earlier before motorcycling to Thunder Bay by way of the ribbon of highway that hugs the north shore of Lake Superior, I grabbed pen and paper and completed, what might seem like to some, a mountain of prep work.

With the help of a 'Canada Road Atlas', Google, Hostelling International website, The Weather Network and a few other vital resources ("What's my bank balance by the way?"), I compiled list after list, all very helpful in my opinion. Over the course of a few days I planned my route, nightly accommodation at hostels, recorded my estimates for daily mileage and gasoline costs, purchased a new camera, and among several other things ("I'd better let The Londoner Community Newspaper know I'll be sending in columns only as long as I can get internet service"), set aside a new notebook to use as a daily journal.

The following photographs of my prep work will surely help you understand how neat and well-organized I can be at times:

"Though I under-estimated each day's mileage, I often arrived at my destination
ahead of schedule because it didn't take me long to heat up soup and coffee" 

 "I created quite a few lists and most items were checked off"

 "I ultimately spent more on gas and a good deal less on meals.
Mr. Noodle, melba toast and tins of food filled one saddle bag"

 "I experienced one drop of rain on June 8, but stayed well
ahead of trouble for the rest of the motorcycle trip"

About the journal: I am very glad I kept a daily log of highlights and lowlights I experienced along the way. Today I would only be able to recall 10 per cent of what occurred during the trip, if that. And in the future, if any other family members (e.g., my two sons) wish to retrace my steps and visit the Atlantic, I have - along with 100s of photographs - helpful notes to guide them in the right direction.

For example: My sons will appreciate taking a break in Arthur, Ontario at noon on the first day of travel to Halifax. The soup and bagel combo is delicious, and a thermos of 'Roaster coffee', like I had (purchased in London before I set off), will came in handy and save them money along the way.


To this day, some of the journal comments are revealing, as above.

I liked going in a northerly direction and through Arthur because I was nervous about taking the 401 highway from London early in the morning. Sure, it took me more time to get to Kingston the way I biked but I felt I had the time. I write, "I lose time but I have time, e.g., 80 km/hr. average pace w 2 hr. break/lunch time. Great motorcycle country north of Dorking and Drayton near Lake Conestoga. We love the water." ('We'? I must be talking about the bike and me. We must have bonded during that first day's long ride.

More to follow.


Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment